Saturday 21 September 2013

Blackberry and Apple Pasties

The other day, Julie and I collected yet another huge container of wild blackberries from the edge of the fields. I've been desperate to try something new with Jus Rol and because we've collected so much fruit, I decided to make some pasties. I love making things with Jus Rol pastry, it's so easy to use and there are so many things you can make with it. This time, I decided to go fancy with the stuff and make braids (like this). I also went for the traditional pastie fold over look, seeing as I am baking in England. I based most of my filling on the BBC "Good Food" recipe (link below), but added a bit more sugar (oops). The mixture was also very juicy after mixing and had to be drained with a colander before baking. After only 20 minutes in the oven, my little pasties were as cute as could be. They weren't however, cute enough to be spared. I tried one right out of the oven with some Devon custard. 
If only I could send some over to the states. 


Megan's Version:

Ingredients:
425g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp white sugar
150g punnet blackberries

Method:
1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Dust a work surface with icing sugar, then unroll the pastry and cut out 4 rounds using a small side plate as a template.

2. Combine the apples, sugar and blackberries and put a small pile on each pastry circle/square. Sprinkle a dusting of brown sugar over fruit. Dampen the edge of the pastry, then fold over to encase the fruit. Pinch and fold the pastry over along one edge to make a paste shape (for pastie shapes slash 3 times). Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle a bit of brown over surface. Lift onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 mins or until puffed and golden. Serve with custard or cream! 

No comments :